[nycphp-talk] [OT] Flash MX<->LAMP<->XML

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Thu Sep 2 02:50:43 EDT 2004

> ive been playing around w/ a copy of Flash MX lately + wrapping my
> head around ActionScript 2.0

AS2 adds some REAL oo fun to the mix as well as some organization and
efficiency updates that the language was in dire need of.  I wrote a fully
dynamic php / AS2 kiosk app (xml based) a couple months after it's release
and enjoyed almost every second of it (besides the lack of info available at
the time).  At the time I'd found a lot of advanced JavaScript resources to
be really helpful, since the new version of the language it more in tune
with ECMAScript. (I just ran across this, about moving from as -> as2 and
it's relation to ECMAScript: http://tinyurl.com/66cby)

> any good resources?

Definitely look into Colin Moock's books.  ASDG2 is the AS Bible, although
it's based on AS1.  Also, check out Moock's Essential AS2 (on my shelf, but
no time to read it yet - although it's gotten there via high
recommendation).
ASDG2: http://tinyurl.com/6ht79
Essen: http://tinyurl.com/5cjez

Also, a few people and places who seem to make the flash world go 'round
(forgive me if the list is a bit stale, it's been a couple months since I
followed really closely)...
http://www.actionscript.org/
http://www.brajeshwar.com/
http://www.gregburch.com/blog/
http://www.darronschall.com/weblog/
http://www.peterjoel.com/blog/
http://www.impossibilities.com/blog/
http://flashmx2004.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4
http://www.gskinner.com/blog/
http://www.jessewarden.com/
http://www.joshdura.com/
http://www.nodetraveller.com/index.php
http://www.markme.com/mesh/
http://www.philterdesign.com/blog/

And of course, a phenomenal resource for MX / PHP and AMFPHP:
http://www.sephiroth.it/

> im just curious what the general
> feedback about it would be?

Personally, I think flash is tons of fun to work with, especially since the
birth of as2.  Unfortunately it can be truly time consuming and I'm just no
fan of the flash IDE at all whatsoever.  It tries to be a vector tool and
programming tool at once and fails miserably on both counts.  When I was
using it a couple months back, there were a few projects in the works to
avoid the IDE completely.  They may possibly be available by now.

Good Luck!

Mark