[nycphp-talk] In hind sight

Michele Waldman mmwaldman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 6 19:21:24 EST 2009

BTW:

Guys,

I’m drinking now.  Final post before taking vacation.  Yeahhhhhh!  My first
major website.  I did a Zencart before, but never homespun like this.  I,
typically, modify E. Indian made websites.

My implementation is a spin on:

http://www.berenddeboer.net/rest/authentication.html

There’s a Opera and Safari kink to iron out.  So, they are not working.

Because I can’t use this implementation without validating the account
before login in with ajax, I use php session variables for security outside
the account.  It validates the user has correctly answered captchas and
security question and validates the security question id is correct before
responding the login information is valid.  I use this on all pages trying
to login or send email to reduce the chances of robots getting anywhere.

However, once inside I only use that approach when modifying the user’s
info.  The rest depends entirely on mod_auth_digest/mysql, my version.  That
means I don’t have to modify every single php file with authentication
checks.

I hooked up with a guy on the apache mailing list that gave me the final
piece of the puzzle to prevent login dialog popups.

I know I followed a lot of wrong tangents at points and people may think I’m
lost, but it’s tight now.

If you don’t have one million hits a day, once opera and safari get on
board, I welcome you to check it out.

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I’m done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Going

Michele

  _____