[nycphp-talk] CentOS v Ubuntu

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Wed Jun 19 15:53:43 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Nicholas Hart <nhart at partsauthority.com>wrote:

> I am having a debate in our office over whether to continue with CentOS
> distro for use with our VM based servers (XEN) or switch to Ubuntu.  I have
> kept the belief that RedHat is better for servers while Ubuntu is preferred
> on the desktop.  I even have an Ubuntu desktop PC.  Just wondered what all
> of you think or recommend.  Thanks.

I've been a bit frustrated with CentOS being far behind on package
versions, but I'm still using it.  CentOS has to wait for the RH Enterprise
release to come out first and then go about patching everything which can
take them a while.  So it's always going to be behind -- but I always trust
it to be stable.

The Remi yum repository is good for getting more recent LAMP packages:
http://rpms.famillecollet.com/

I'm using Ubuntu LTS for a NodeJS project that needed more recent software.